Colossians 3:23

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Getting books

Okay, I am going to stray from the normal path tonight and talk about books. I LOVE to read! It is one of my passions. But as you know, books can be expensive. For just leisure reading, Tom and I try to hit the thrift stores and garage sales. We rarely buy a fiction book brand new unless it's for a gift. We also use half.com or E-bay to buy books, being careful to check the seller's feedback. I generally try to order from someone who is an individual seller rather than a mass marketing seller, hoping I'll be less likely to get lost in the shuffle.

Sometimes I will buy a reference or curriculum book new, but I always look for used first and I try to check it out from a library first to see if I'll actually use it.

For books for the child care kids, I generally order through Scholastic book orders or find them at garage sales and thrift stores.

Do you like to read? How do you get your books?

5 comments:

  1. I love to read!!! I look for sales too, I haven't tried half.com though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do garage sales. If I want a new book, I order it from Amazon.com and then read it right away. I can then resell it on Ebay for usually only a few dollars less than I paid for it so I don't lose much money on it. John bought me a kindle for my birthday so now I am on a mission to find free Kindle books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, half.com can be really good. You just have to be careful who you buy from and still sometimes you get burned. Mandy, part of our problem is that one of us has a hard time parting with books after we get them. Not naming any names or anything...but it's Tom. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. why isn't anyone going to the library?? We go to the library about once a week. Each of my three kids can get 10 items each (this includes music, movies or books) The music and movies are due back in a week and the books are due back in two weeks. If they love something we check it out again..if they really love it, we then purchase it from somewhere like Ebay or Amazon. For myself, I get my books at the library as well. I rarely want to read the book again, and if I do, I can check it out again...or if i really love it, I can purchase it.
    Why pay for them??...then you also have the residual 'clutter' even on an organized bookshelf of books you are probably not going to read again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Our library here has improved alot since Billie took over. She does a great job! Sadly I just don't think about it that often. But I did check some books out from there recently.

    ReplyDelete