Colossians 3:23

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Does it really cost more to eat healthy?

As I've been talking about in my personal blog: Crockpot Cruise, Tom and I have been making some changes in our lifestyle and working on getting healthier. We're both working out and we are eating healthier. I cannot count the number of times I have heard people say that it costs more to eat healthy and I always thought they were right. But what I'm finding out is that if you follow a good commonsense nutrition plan and watch your portions, it doesn't have to cost more. I have not seen our grocery bill increase at all since we started eating healthier.I know it costs us less when we go out to eat because we're eating smaller amounts or we're bringing home part of our meal to eat at another meal.

One of the first people that I heard actually bust this myth was Jill Cooper of Living on a Dime. She talks about it in one of her books that I reviewed: Penny Pinching Mama. In the book, she talks about how she controlled her family's portions while insuring that they followed a basic healthy eating plan. For an online article by Jill about healthy eating, go here.

Where did this myth start then? Well, I think alot of it is from eating those diet fad foods, like the low fat items from a few years ago, or the Atkin's and other low-carb items from more recently. Those kinds of specialty foods do tend to cost quite a bit more. But choosing healthy, well-balanced foods does not.

Want some help choosing and personalizing your own healthy eating plan? Check out Choose My Plate.

Don't take my word for it! I challenge you to check it out for yourself!


2 comments: